Celebrating our 5th anniversary, get your 6 months free web hosting here. Terms and conditions apply.
I have spoken to many customers were buying SSL certificates. Most have commissioned Vastspace for the entire process. From my experience, most have the impression that the SSL certificate can be done on the same day.
Whether it is done by yourselves or Vastspace the process is the same. I will explain the entire process, so you will get a better understanding.
A Paid SSL certificate is issued by the certificate authority, not Vastspace. All SSL certificate applied for that domain must be validated and the CSR from the origin must be submitted. The validation methods are; domain-validation, organization validation and extended validation. Each validation process is conducted by the CA. DV, domain validation has a shorter process. The ‘owner’ of the domain must approve that he or she has applied an SSL certificate for that domain.
Once CA has satisfied, they will issue the SSL certificate. This process is the fastest but it has lower insured value because it is domain validated. How soon? It depends on how soon the owner can approve for the DCV email sent to him or her.
I have seen DV SSL certificate took more than a month or even cancelled after the CSR was submitted. OV will validate the organization applied and buying the SSL certificate. The CA will print the organization name on the OV validated SSL certificate.
EV SSL certificate verification is the most extensive. The verification comprises the DV, OV and callback to verify the real person behind the business. Business telephone number published on the authorised websites will be used.
The EV SSL verification is very long-winded if the organization is not prepared for the process. Handled by an inexperienced sales guy can delay the entire process. Thus, I recommend asking and check with the vendor before you are buying an SSL certificate, especially for the EV SSL certificate.
Here is the link to understand more about different types of SSL certificates.
This is not an economy class but we are here to tell you the web hosting trend today. We can see the drop in demand of the dedicated servers but increases in VPS.
One reason I can see is the price. If you do not need the resources in a dedicated server, a VPS will help you save money. However, if you are calculating per gigabyte on RAM and the hard drives you will get, a dedicated server is cheaper.
In most cases, a dedicated server is not fully utilized. Average, we see servers used 40% or less is common. There are servers used as low as 15% at all times.
What are the reasons these customers have chosen a bare metal server over the VPS, here are my observations;
- Past experience – In the past, virtualization is not popular and less stable. The choice is limited.
- Privacy – Do not want a shared instance even it is virtualized.
- Over-Provisioned – Expected traffic was underwhelmed.
- Misled – Inexperienced, they were misled by the salespeople.
I’m a practical person and in my opinion, VPS or you call it a VM can fulfil 75% or more of the requirement. It is a matter of price. Most of these guest machine either they are low-weighted so they can have more guest machines in a node or the storage is expensive. There are cases you need storage space like a mail server.
However, you can see the price is coming down because of competition. Due to the demand, this will affect datacentre operators as well. As soon as it is virtualized, the footprint of the same in the dedicated servers will get smaller too. However, if the provider increased his ship in virtualization, his footprint will get larger in the datacentre.
So, it has depended very much on what they have focused and the market demand.
This is some things most of us will not consider when we set up or but a web hosting. After all, the most robust web hosting with a failover mechanism might cost a lot. So, if you are on an ordinary web hosting plam there are the common failures you can expect.
- Electrical power – it can be the server power supply or the electricity from your power company. Most servers allow redundant power supplies. These power supplies operate in different sources of incoming electric power. Should one has failed, you have the other one runs and continue its operation.
- The cheaper servers do not have such feature or the buyer did not buy the 2nd power to reduce cost.
- The worst scenario is the engineer did not plug it in and this is happening because of the PDU sockets is limited. In order to fill up more servers in the rack, the redundant power supply is sacrificed.
- A Proxy web server – Your website is served by a web server. However, if you are thinking of web protection, distribute your traffic and get nearer to your visitors, a web proxy is used. So now you have 2 web server as one is your proxy web server. Any of them failed, your website will fail.
- Network – If your origin is only one, it is sitting on one network. So, as soon as the network has failed, your web hosting will fail.
- Server failure – A software or a hardware failure will cause your web hosting to fail.
Basically, they are Murphy’s law, we cannot beat them. Even, you are self-proclaimed the best web hosting providers, you will still face these consequences.
Today, my customer has come to me to view his WordPress website using an IP address. You can use an IP address as your hostname. However, we do not recommend this method.
There are a few reasons and you have these criteria. Actually, I still cannot find a good reason for doing this.
- You have a dedicated IP address and resolved to only one site. You can use it as a default site.
- Private site. Do not want others to resolve using a domain name.
- Do not want to use reverse and forward DNS. Maybe for point of failure.
- Never hard code a link using domain name every permalink is managed by the WordPress.
If anyone can think of a valid reason, please write down the comment below.
Getting a WordPress website using an IP address must at least meet the first criteria like what I have mentioned earlier. In addition, you need to change the name to IP address in ‘General Settings’ of your WordPress website or define it in your wp-config,
In this case, you can use an IP address.
However, if you are making a new website or staging, I personally recommend the ‘host file’ method to resolve locally. The domain name can use the same if the website has a different IP address. If it is done using the same IP address, you cannot use the same domain name but a fake domain name.
If you are using a fake domain name you will have to update the general settings or define it in the wp-config file.
In this way, your WordPress website is always accessible and it will not run into errors like ‘404’ page not found.