Today, we talk about a domain name. Guess I do not need to explain what is a domain name but many do not really understand what is the function of a domain name. In the 1st place, a domain name is not web hosting. A domain name is a name where you have registered with the authorized registrar or their reseller. A domain name is portable, it doesn’t matter where you have stored your data, email and web content. Similarly, it is like the Television license that you have to pay yearly to maintain its validity.
Each domain has the assigned DNS this is the element to tell people where you are hosting your email and website. But you will definitely need a domain name so you can tell people what is your email address unless you are not hosting but use the free email services from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc.
We usually register a domain name related to a person or a business. Some maybe their interest or service. Anyway, this isn’t my point. My point is how to choose a correct domain name. Here are a few tips to make a better choice on registering a domain name.
- Name after you or your business. So, you remembered the domain name as you remembered to the person or his business.
- Easy to remembered. I will forget if the domain name is mot common name.
- Keep it short not too long. Difficult to remembered and easy to have a typo.
- Check its availability and made a few choices before you are registering,
- Registering a domain name related to your product or service that you are providing.
- Register a territory TLD of a domain name. Example, my business is in Singapore, I can choose to register a domain name ends with .sg or .com.sg but not .my or .com.my
A domain name is unique. As long as it is registered, you can’t register again. However, there are services or you can approach the registrant, make an offer to buy from them. if the amount is agreed by both parties, you can make a domain transfer to gain ownership.