Many when you are looking for a dedicated server, you compare prices at similar specification. This is a normal practice for a consumer, But how do you know they are the same. Like Intel XEON processor E3 has 6 revisions. Of course, it is not a must to get the latest but not too old though. Older parts have a shorter lifespan, the higher failure rate can cause disruptions. Here are a few tips helps individuals on choosing a dedicated server.
- Do not rush. If the advertisement is unclear, please ask for details. Always ask for more details if you are unsure. Like XEON processors have a few revisions can affect CPU performance. Some hard drives are designed to use 247 as a server. You cannot use to normal hard drive for a desktop to a server.
- Never make a long period of upfront payment. Price will start to drop for older parts. In past experience, the cycle is 9 -12 months. Longer upfront payment does not secure you a better deal, in fact, you could lose more.
- A cheaper option might get you a desktop PC as a web or database server. They are not designed to run 247. Like cooling and continuous operation are major issues to these servers.
- Rent a server slightly more than your needs. Servers are not portable, to upgrade a server, the chances are moving your data can be tedious.
- Always buy a backup, if there is no backup might lead you to lose data in the event of hard drive failure.
- Services monitoring, you should monitor the important services and receive an alert if your service is not operational. Remembered that you have rented a server for a few hundred dollars for a month, a non-operational service costs you more.
- Protection is a must if you own a dedicated server. You have many websites or you have a high traffic website, to rent a dedicated server. This greatly increased the attacks because of its popularity. So access to the server must be restricted and limited.
- Regular check on the health of the server. Whether you are using a Linux or Windows server, they are tools to do the diagnostic to the hardware in the server especially hard drives. Any pre-failure notices can save you time and money.