For the past 2 decades, I have registered many domains for businesses and individuals. It is important choosing a domain name for your website. Unless you are preparing to register many domain names and interchange them regularly. I strongly discourage anyone is changing the domain name for a website especially you have used the domain name for many years already.
In my opinion, there are a few rules for choosing a domain name. What is the best domain name? What is a good domain name? Today, I’m sharing what is the right domain name for you.
- The domain name, the name itself should not be more than 10 characters. A too lengthy domain name is difficult to remember,
- Choose the domain TLD extension in your territory. For example, I will register a .sg domain for my business or company in Singapore.
- easy to recall or remember, related to the business or company name for example.
- avoid the dash “-” in your domain name unless you have no other choice.
- Use and registered domain name with popular TLD extension. For example, abc.com is easier to remember than abc.biz unless you have a reason to do so.
- You can use alphanumeric in a domain name or use numbers only
After the domain registration and subscribed to a web hosting, the website will work. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Some web hosting companies provide DNS but some don’t.
It is advisable to own a good DNS like what we are offering from ClouDNS and create your zone records. Zone records are like your domain name directory. It tells your visitors where to go for your website and email service. We will explain to you more about what is DNS and how they work in the next article.