This is a very common question, your customer will ask if they need a dedicated server. As a web hosting provider, I will choose to stay neutral. But when do I need a dedicated server?
A dedicated server has more hidden cost compares to a VPS. What are the hidden costs/? A dedicated server price tag has not included the followings; Backup, the larger the storage, get more expensive. More expensive Windows server license if you have more core CPU on a server. More expensive control panel license on a dedicated server. Traffic charges may or may not depends on the service provider.
But you have no choice if you need a dedicated server. The above will give you an idea the cost is not only on the server. When do you need a dedicated server? These are my thoughts and told to my customers.
- Do you need more IP addresses? Most web hosting provider can offer more IP addresses for the dedicated server.
- Do you expect a lot of traffic? If you have a busy network. A dedicated network port works better.
- A lot of processes and high CPU utilization.
- Want secure and privacy. VM is still not 100% secure-proof.
- Need big storage. Per gigabyte storage is cheaper.
- Got the budget.
- Possible to plug in an external device. Example Portable USB Hard Drive.