Today, I would like to talk about the important services, ports and how should you treat them. I have seen many servers and VPS have them in default. I strongly urge everyone to starts to restricting and protect ing them. this is necessary.
- SSH service port 22 – This is remote Shell access for a Linux server. You can use TCP wrapper or iptables to restrict access by certain IP addresses. Also, change port 22 to something else that you can remember. Do not keep its default settings.
- RDP – ports 3389 change the administrator username and restrict IP addresses using the advanced firewall in Windows server OS.
- MySQL port 3306 limited to a local connection.
- MSSQL port 1433 limited to a local connection.
- Plesk administration port 8880 & 8443 using Plesk administration restrict access or use 2FA under tools and settings.
- cPanel / WHM port 2086, 2087, 2082, 2083, and even 2092 and 2093 you can restrict access using IP addresses in WHM. Use 2 FA for WHM and cPanel access.
- FTP port 21 active mode if possible restrict the access using IP addresses or at least use a strong password.