Why do some go for a paid SSL while you can an SSL certificate for free?
There is no difference in encryption if you are using a free SSL certificate, they are the same in terms of functionality. However, some would still prefer a paid SSL certificate.
There are a few reasons why you would go for a paid SSL;
- Re-issue – mostly unlimited from most CA. However, there is a limit or delay to get an SSL issued as the process is automatic for end users. The waiting time for the next cycle is no for someone to run an online business.
- The validity of the free SSL certificate is shorter, you definitely can not get past the 12 months duration,
- Limited to DV (domain validated), if you are looking for OV or EV, it is only available to a paid SSL certificate.
- There is no insurance value on a free SSL certificate.
- Support provided by CA, you might get support still for the free one but it is definitely taking longer.
- Reputation, if I’m running an online business. I will want my SSL certificate signed by a reputable CA and recognized by my visitors. Not likely with the free SSL, especially for the EV SSL.