I have used both web control panels on VPS and dedicated server.l. Even you are expert in your operating system. These control panels make your job easier and organised. If someone is asking, which control panel is better? My answer can be confusing, I will say it depend.
Yes, it depends on what you are planning to host and do. We put the monthly licence expense aside. These control panels have served the general purposes but in depth, there are differences. And these control panels have their strong and weak points. As a provider, here are my experiences.
- in terms of UX and the layout, I will give the credit to Plesk. The login panel, the layout and the icons are much easier to navigate. Layman will find the essential functions after they logged in.
- if you have an old website is using only PHP5.2 and cannot upgrade, I will suggest Plesk in this case The PHP select has a wider range.
- backup function in cPanel has greater flexibility, offer more choices on the repository.
- PHP extension with Apache in cPanel is compiled using Easy Apache with better compatibility.
- more users and restrictions can be created in Plesk, ideal for the owner has engaged a 3rd party who need to access the control panel.
- cPanel has only 1 license type on unlimited for both VPS and dedicated server. Plesk starts with 10 domains onward, can be confusing,
- cPanel has more thleskPings and modules to install, thus it takes longer time.
- Anti-virus is ClamAV on cPanel which is free. Plesk premium AntiVirus is free for 1st 10 and you need to pay for the license for additional mailboxes.
- You get better settings on Anti-Spam for cPanel.
- Plesk has firewall settings out of the box
- Plesk is using postfix and cPanel s Exim for the mail server. Personally found postfix is less confusing.
- cPanel has more security settings and better protection.
- cPanel has more choice on using the different type of service like DNS, FTP etc.
These are some of the differences for both control panels. For a novice user, I will strongly recommend Plesk. However, cPanel has better control, especially you had been working with shell. Now, you can probably use cPanel to accomplish.