Why do you need to change the domain name?
This is one of the common question asked by customers. It is not very common, but there are a few instances or website the owners change the domain name.
There are 2 common mistakes or rather I should say it is the perception of a domain name. A domain name requires registration to own it if available and your website can change the name ad it is not broken. Some website like a WordPress website requires the domain name to be updated. Should you not have the domain name was hard-coded into a URL
If you have fulfilled the above you can change the existing domain name. However, when you are changing an existing domain, you must ask yourselves on why and if the reasons are valid. There are a few reasons why you need to change a domain name.
- The business name is changed, due to an acquisition, combine or business decision.
- The existing domain name is too long and hard to remember.
- The domain TLD has not to symbolized a local business.
- The domain name was a brand name, you are no longer representing.
- You just bought a domain name that suits your business better.
These are usually the reasons why they have changed an existing domain. To change a domain name, you need to do the followings,
- The new domain name must be registered and the owner to it.
- Speak to your website developer, tell them you want to use the new domain name.
- Make the old domain as an alias to the new domain name. Emails are delivered to the new domain name.
- A 301Wildcard redirection to redirect web traffic from the old to the new domain name.
- Announcement to your customers and business associates.
When you have all these above, you are ready to change the domain name. On the other hand, 301 redirection is important in SEO perspective. The new domain can affect your ranking in search engines for the domain age and backlinks to your website. Thus, 301 redirection is very important.