Related to a Domain
Today, we talk about a domain name. This article is based on my past experience on a few TLD types of domains, like the .com, .com.sg, .sg etc. Hopefully, it helps some in a way if this information is useful.
- If you are registering a .sg domain, it is in the month of August or you can wait till August. It will save you money. SGNIC runs a promotion on the price reduction of .sg domains in that month to celebrate Singapore National Day.
- Check out our domain page, there are always TLDs on promotion, it could be the one you wanted to register.
- Plular or singular of a domain name, to avoid any mistakes and if your budget allowed, register both. For example, cat.com and cats.com use one as an alias to your preferred domain.
- A domain name is too long is difficult to remember, you should avoid.
- Using a ‘dash-, for example, cat-house.com and cathouse.com, register both and use one as an alias to your preferred domain.
- Domain should be easy to remember, ask a few people and get feedback.
- A domain name represents a person, a brand or a thing. If they are not related, it is difficult to recall.
- Never let your domain expired. Sg domain, you can renew up to 2 years and other TLDs may be renewed as long as 10 years. A redemption fee may apply if your domain has expired.
- Avoid domain ID protection especially for anyone are doing business online. ID protection might indirectly or directly affect your creditability.
How Domain works for hosting?
There 3 things for a domain to work with a web hosting. Many do not know the existence of DNS. DNS is actually important. It works as a directory to tell your visitor to go to the website or deliver your emails. Without DNS, your domain and web hosting will not work even they are valid or running.
Website hosting and email server are recognised and talked to each other using the IP address. An address numbers, e it an IPv6 or IPv4. Numbers are difficult to remember and it is not practical in the past using IPv4, thus there is such thing known as a virtual host, so many domains can use the same IP address.
This is where and how the DNS works. It helps to translate a name to numbers Like what I have said, DNS direct traffic for email or website. Without DNS, the name cannot be translated or resolved, everything will stop working on the internet.
Domain names registered with the registrars require 2 or more DNS. I personally prefer they are from different networks and GEO locations. So, if one DNS is down, the others are not affected should its network is having troubles. If you have 4 DNS but they are set up on the same network. It will defeat the purpose of having 2 or more DNS.
This article tells you DNS is relatively important but usually neglected. Hope it helps.
Today, we talk about a domain name. Guess I do not need to explain what is a domain name but many do not really understand what is the function of a domain name. In the 1st place, a domain name is not web hosting. A domain name is a name where you have registered with the authorized registrar or their reseller. A domain name is portable, it doesn’t matter where you have stored your data, email and web content. Similarly, it is like the Television license that you have to pay yearly to maintain its validity.
Each domain has the assigned DNS this is the element to tell people where you are hosting your email and website. But you will definitely need a domain name so you can tell people what is your email address unless you are not hosting but use the free email services from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc.
We usually register a domain name related to a person or a business. Some maybe their interest or service. Anyway, this isn’t my point. My point is how to choose a correct domain name. Here are a few tips to make a better choice on registering a domain name.
- Name after you or your business. So, you remembered the domain name as you remembered to the person or his business.
- Easy to remembered. I will forget if the domain name is mot common name.
- Keep it short not too long. Difficult to remembered and easy to have a typo.
- Check its availability and made a few choices before you are registering,
- Registering a domain name related to your product or service that you are providing.
- Register a territory TLD of a domain name. Example, my business is in Singapore, I can choose to register a domain name ends with .sg or .com.sg but not .my or .com.my
A domain name is unique. As long as it is registered, you can’t register again. However, there are services or you can approach the registrant, make an offer to buy from them. if the amount is agreed by both parties, you can make a domain transfer to gain ownership.