Some are using shared hosting?
Actually, this question has bothered me, why people are using shared hosting while VPS are dirt cheap. Probably, you can get a VPS for just $5 a month and multiply by 12 months which is equal to $60. What $60? It is cheaper than a shared hosting plan.
But wait, we miss out a few things. There are a few reasons why they are still using and looking for shared hosting. If you look at a different angle or in their socks, VPS may not a good choice.
I have spoken to some, they have no idea what is a VPS, end of the day it is about price. In the past, VPS has a higher price than shared hosting, however, because of its popularity and server are cheaper nowadays, VPS’s price has fallen tremendously.
Price is probably the main factor. Secondly is the web panel like cPanel or Plesk, they are optional in a VPS. Unlike the shared hosting, basically, you do not have to think about it. Shared hosting is a web hosting ready to go. So it is simple, good for layman or people have little IT background.
Again, consumers must give themselves with choices and not limited to shared hosting. Hosting providers like us must be able to educate the consumers on the differences between VPS and shared hosting. Consumers will understand the pros and cons, and which types of web hosting are bettter.
Here are a few advantages of buying a VPS compares to shared hosting;
- If you host more than one website, a VPS might save you more money.
- Dedicated IP address comes default in a VPS. You never worry if your neighbour’s IP address is blacklisted in RBL.
- You can update the kernel at your own schedule if it is a true VM.
- Web service, mail service and others do not share with others. You have total control over these services.
- You can root shell to your VPS.
- You can modify the configuration of a VPS for the behaviour you wanted.
- You can resell spare resources & more
However, there are cons like paying more for a control panel and it is likely you need to manage your web hosting if you faced any difficulty on a VPS. Only you have more time or you have the knowledge, it is worth considering buying a VPS for your website.